Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hundred Milligram Forest

As a kid, I was never a huge fan of Winnie-the-Pooh, but it wasn't until recently I was able to put my finger on why....

To put it bluntly....the characters are all mental health consumers. Now having questionable and changable mental health myself, I am not in any way judging the individuals or anyone who suffers from the same problems, but you have to wonder about Christopher Robin's upbringing and/or A.A.Milne's social circle when they imagined the characters in the Pooh series.

Rabbit is a classic Obessive-Compulsive. Uber nervous Piglet clearly suffers from Generalised Anxiety Disorder and specifically Nyctophobia. Eeyone is clinically depressed and should seriously consider medication. Owl is not only a real animal that speaks to soft toys, but even though the dude can't spell his name correctly, he believes he is the smartest and wisest of everyone in the forest! This is what you call Grandiose Delusional behaviour. Tigger is obviously Manic Depressive and don't get me started on the Oedipal associations between Kanga and Roo. And while Mr Winnie-the-Pooh himself is sweet and somewhat endearing, he is also Borderline Retarded. It's all you eat and you spell it Hunny?!! Good god bear!

And that is why I always preferred Garfield. I could relate to his Compulsive Eating Disorder.

3 comments:

mist1 said...

I always wanted to see the one where Eeyore is on suicide watch.

Meredith said...

I guess we now know what all those stiches and patches resulted from...

~Tim said...

Yeah, but "The Tao of Pooh" puts an interesting spin on the characters.