Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Sci Fi Fantasy Plot 101

For the past few weeks I have been working my way through my brothers near-endless collection of sci-fi/fantasy books and listing them on TradeMe. I've been including the little blurb from the back of the book in the auction details and after entering nearly 100 of them I began to notice a trend. I am pleased to say that I have managed to crack the author code and have designed a formula for creating your own sci fi-fatasy book plot! Feel free to use as you like folks...

Step 1: First off you need to create a name for your hero. Use of hypens and apostrophes is encouraged as are, for some reason, names beginning with the letter K (Kendric, Kenda, Kretek etc). If you are stuck for ideas take a real name and remove a letter or two e.g. Sarah = S'rah, William = Wilam) or merge two real names into one e.g. Peter/John = Pej-ohner or Emma/Michelle = Emaelle.

Step 2 : Choose one of last, only or remaining after entering 'is the'

Step 3: Create the name of the civilisation or species of which your hero is a member. For this group start with the first letter of the name of the hero you created in Step 2 and then try and reuse as many letters from their name as you can. For example if your hero's name is Kalex-dor-tan then your world should be called something like Katandor

Step 4: New sentence. Enter 'aided only by' followed by the appropriate construction

Step 5: Think up a highly improbable and corny magic skill such as the ability to talk with rocks or summon giant butterflies.

Step 6: Follow with 'and' and choose a forged weapon (such as a sword or axe), oversized talking animal (horses and spiders work well) or a love interest who should be depected on the front book cover wearing armor that wouldn't protect any vital organ whatsover

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, is this supposed to be funny? 'Cause . . . it's not. Sorry :-(

Meredith said...

And I'm sorry you felt the need to bag my post and make a random stranger feel crappy, rather than just stopping reading my blog and go somewhere folks appreciate unconstructive, halfwit comments

Tara said...

well i think it's funny! I'm going to try to write a satirical story based on your sci fi fantasy plot 101, if that's ok.

Lucas said...

I think we have to assume that in these sci-fi universes, the knees, elbows and shoulders are in fact vital organs, for scantily-clad love-interests.. :)

Hiero said...

Funny? It's hysterical!

Ana Andrade said...

Hi! I was actually googling a formula for creating a sci fy plot lol and I reached your blog. I like your formula its cute :) Am currently working on a sci fy novel and am blogging about it if you care to swing by and read it :)
http://writingmybooks.blogspot.com
keep blogging
Ana