Monday, May 29, 2006

Grey's Anatomy

Somehow, I managed to dislocate then relocate a tendon in my foot by stepping on someone else's foot, while getting on the bus on Friday. Yeah, I know....I'm Special. I must have done the uber over-correction and moved it in an awkward way. I got home and dutifully applied basic first aid principles . After a sprain, strain or break, apply R.I.C.E:

  • Rest
  • Ice
  • Coke and Bourbon
  • Elevation

Since my foot was still hurting today I went to see my doctor to check I hadn't done anything really funky to it. My doctor actually laughed at me as he was filling out my ACC form. "Let me get this straight...you stepped on someone's foot and you got hurt?!"

Sigh.

While I was there I asked him to look at the hard, bony weird lump that appeared on my shoulder several weeks ago. At the time it hurt like a mothe... a lot. But now it only hurts if I touch it or lean back on my arm.

So anyways, my doctor pokes at my arm goes hmmm then picks up a model of a shoulder joint off his desk and brings it over to me...

Dr: "What I think has happened is this.... See the connection between the socket bone and the clavicle? I think that has come away like this [pulls the model apart with alarming effort and a disturbing popping noise] and that lump is the end of your clavicle, kinda floating around. "

Meredith: "Urgh."

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I've had a stack of xrays but the radiologist said she couldn't see anything out of place. The Dr said if nothing showed up on xray then it wasn't bone and I have to go for an ultrasound to see if it is cartilage or something else. I'm just waiting to hear back from him now.

Lets start a "What is the lump?" prize pool!

My bet: Parasitic twin

Seraph said...

Sweet Jebus !

My guess - it's an alien monitoring device.