Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Wheels On the Bus

Last Thursday morning I was running a bit late so rather than walk I decided to catch a bus up the quay.

Just as I got to the station a bus heading my way pulled up so I was on and seated pretty quick and settled in to do some people watching.

As passengers were piling on I realised that the bus was slowly drifting backwards. I was just considering speaking up when the bus behind tooted loudly and our driver planted the brake suddenly. At that point I was very glad I was already seated.

Once all passengers were on, he took of at Mach 4 and rather than at the road (as one had anticipated) he began looking in his passenger view mirror and started talking about some random soccer game that was played the night before. It wasn't until everyone began frantically gesturing forward that the driver looked back to the road and realised he was barreling towards a group of pedestrians on a crossing. More braking.

Silly me thought perhaps he would have learnt his lesson about taking his eyes of the road but as we started off again he continued talking about the soccer game and when he finally got to the point of the conversation which was to try and find out the final score...he actually turned around in his seat to look at us!!

Everyone was so taken aback by the driver facing us that we were all frozen in alarm and it wasn't until the guy hurtled through a very orange light that everyone began furiously shaking their heads to indicate that the didn't know the soccer score.

As we pulled up to the first stop (and more people than usual got off), the driver says..."Be careful out there people, I heard some pedestrian got hit on Courtney Place. I don't think it was a bus"

The guy sitting next to me didn't even crack a smile when I whispered "Oh my god...we're all gonna die!". Weirdo.

No comments: