Friday, May 12, 2006

Proff Readintg Is Imporant

So far this month it would be fair to say that I haven't really been demonstrating examples of email etiquette 'best practice'. Considering my job, the irony is not lost on me so I feel compelled to share with you the hard email lessons I've learnt recently....

DO NOT enter in the recipients of a sure-to-piss-people-off type email until you've completely finished it and fleshed out the key points that you'd typed in during the early composition stage of the message, such as "explain again" or "not going to happen" . Almost guaranteed you'll go to save or print or press some evil and random combination of key strokes and the bloody thing will send.

DO NOT make a joke about calling someone a scumbag in a message. It may very well be forwarded to them and they may very well get the uber rage and freak right out at you. See:
that's what those smily things are for . Yep, just like C is for Cookie, that M is for Me.

If you accidentally mis-spell someone's surname on a website and they send you a pissy email about it, when sending your sincere apology, ensure that you spell their first name correctly in your reply. Even more importantly ensure that this mis-spelling doesn't change it from a male to female name. They are likely to take further offense.

I hope we can all learn something from this...

3 comments:

Seraph said...

S - I know I did ( hangs head in shame )

Meredith said...

Alls well that ends well! Turns out Mr Seraph you did us both a big favour! :)

If my scumbag message hadn't got to him, the dude wouldn't have contacted me and would have continued to think that a stack of work was happening in the background. He has been now spurred into action and the stuff we both wanted might still actually happen.

Hang your head not....

Seraph said...

Oh !

Well.

Weird how these things turn out...