Thursday, April 26, 2007

Head I Win, Tails You Lose

On Tuesday morning I was waiting at the bus stop when a random woman called out to me from across the street...

"Excuse me...does this bus go straight to Wellington?" I politely answered "Yes, it does"

Then she said, a little louder this time, "No, I mean does this bus go straight through to Wellington?" Feeling a little silly I said "Ohh, no, sorry, it isn't not an Express bus, it will stop through at the train station".

She then said with an alarming sense of urgency "No no, no, I mean does this bus go straight to Wellington...are there any corners or anything?" Desperately trying to keep my face neutral I replied "Riiiiight. Well, there are a couple of corners I guess, but once we hit the gorge it is pretty much straight along the quays"

She nods with satisfation and crossed the road to the bus stop. As she took her position standing next to me, she leaned over and said "It's just that my daughter and I drank two bottles of red wine last night and I am horribly hungover and my stomach is rather delicate" Avoiding eye contact at this point I said "Ahhh, sorry to hear that."

I hoped that was the end of the weirdness for that early in the morning but I noticed she was peering expectantly into every car that was going past. My curiosity got the better of me and I asked "Umm...are you looking out for someone?" She looked at me like I was the mental one and said "No, I'm just waiting for someone to stop and pick us up" "That ain't gonna happen until the bus driver comes past" A puzzled expression came across her face "What?! Up in Auckland I pick up people from the bus stops all the time" Wondering whether I'd seen any recent news reports about murdered hitch-hikers I said, "Well that doesn't happen in Wellington" She responded "It might. Let's see"

Now having enough of a crazy hungover woman that wasn't a direct relation, I couldn't resist:

"If you get picked up by someone....I'll cover your bus fare"
"Deal!"

8 comments:

Mike said...

Nice to see you finding ways to laugh.

I like the change in theme by the way, though I'd say it almost infringes on another blog I know of...

Roy said...

That story is awesome :)

Meredith said...

Mike - While unintentional, I'd take it as a compliment on your fine taste on templates :)

Dave2 - Why thank you, thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Imitation is the highest form of compliments I hear.

Meredith said...

Indeed, however given there are only like 10 different blogger templates, one shouldn't get too carried away with the level of compliment :)

Anonymous said...

so you're saying you were forced to use a similar template, and thereby don't like me?

Ouch. Dump me over the net. On a blog. In the comments box.

:)

Meredith said...

Gah. No, not forced, but restricted in options?

Of course I still like you...geez.

Wait...who are you?
:)

Mike said...

Work internet restrictions would otherwise prevent me from posting. Hence the "anon" status forced upon me.