Saturday, April 15, 2006

Back to the Future

I often daydream about being able to go back to when I was 5, with all the knowledge I have now, and do it all again. And yep, that is bearing in mind I'd consciously have to go through the horrifying experiences of primary school and puberty all over again. That's how much think I messed up the past 27 years. This 'no regrets' thing is clearly for under-analysers.

I think it would be great to be able avoid the bastards in your life and find those special people sooner along the way. Half the fun would be about making sure I didn't screw up my time-space-bestest buddy continuum. My entire life would be like an episode of Quantum Leap... sans being a doctor or having a holographic best friend from the future...oh....and no swiss cheese brain of course. But definitely the 'putting right what once went wrong' bit.

There are a few obvious things I think most people would do given the same chance, such as working harder at school, learning a language, being more active in sports so they weren't the fat kid (I'd choose martial arts) , staying 'just friends' with the ex and being less reckless with student loan money.

There are a few more random personal ones I have like, I would have learnt to drive sooner (I might've been a halfway decent driver by now if I had), I would have been nicer to my brother when I was little and I wouldn't have screamed "And you ruined my life!" in response to "You ruined my pencil case!"(when the 'popular' girl in my social group who dedicated a good proportion of her spare time to making my life miserable, accused me of defacing her new pencil case). I've never been able to live that one down. Sigh.

1 comment:

Seraph said...

I often think along these lines. But I usually think - "Man, I'd totally invent 'Magic-The Gathering' and make a squillion dollars", or other similar capitalist lustings. I also think "Cripes ! I've got to be single HOW long before I hook up with Viva ???!!?!".
I'd never make it though Wanganui again ! Mind you - if I invented Magic - I could OWN Wanganui !!!
HA !