Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Imagine How Uncomfortable The Car Ride Will Be

Oh god...I just had a highly embarrassing phone call...it went like this:

[Phone rings]
M: Hello?
Caller: Hi, is that Meredith?
M: Uh yep {hmmm, I don't recognise the voice, I wonder who this is?}
Caller: Hi, its Steven
M: Oh..Hi Steven {fek, do I know a Steven?! Buy some time to think...} How are you?
S: Yeah, not too bad, how are you doing?
M: {crap, crap, crap! I have no idea who this dude is} I'm good thanks. What can I do for you?
S: I was wondering if I could please get a ride to work tomorrow?
M: {Steve, Stevie, Stew, Mr Steven....nope, not helping} Ahhhh....probably..sure, where do you work? {Think you dork, think!}
S: In Lower Hutt central
M: Riiiight, sure. Yeah, I'll be heading that way. {Goddamn it} So, um, one question before I say yes...what's your last name there Steven?
S: Laing.
M: Oooooh...right. Steven *Laing*....... {Meredith's brain hums tunelessly to itself}. Nope, still drawing a blank there sorry. I suck. Can I have a another hint?
S: Karate?
M: {Ding!!} Ooohhh....*Sensei* Steven....Oh, ok. right. {Yeah Meredith, from that karate class you took for several years} Hi! How are you? {You've already asked that dumbass}. I mean...[cough] where do you need me to pick you up from and what time? ......

Wow. That was awkward.
I can hardly wait for the drive in.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Y'all be pleased to know that the car ride went ok. Steven showed his sense of humour (I don't recall encountering this before...it was quite unsettling) and turns out he actually thought it was quite hilarious that I was agreeing to give some guy I didn't know a ride to work. Aha.
He only panicked about my driving once. (I was approaching a queue of cars at reasonable speed). My response? "Ah hello?...that's what brakes are for"