Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Profoundity Not Profanity

Yesterday I had the unpleasant experience of having to overhear my downstairs neighbours having a major domestic incident. With the floor being so thin, there just wasn't any avoiding hearing it.

He was yelling his brains out and without exaggertation, every third word was f&ck. It occurred to me as I was turning up the TV to try and drown out the constant stream of obscenity that the reason one would use that word so frequently could only be from a lack of creativity or vocabulary.

Therefore, in order to prove to myself I am a well educated, creative individual, I am going to attempt to not swear for a week and find alternative ways of expressing my displeasure.

Do not underestimate just how significant this undertaking is to me...it comes with potential risks to my health! My grandmother attempted to give up swearing several years ago and ended up with boils in her ears. The boils only went away when she started swearing again. Wish me luck people.

(Oh, I've decided I can still say crap, piss, bugger and damn...they don't count..hell, they are almost cultural. Ummm...hell is ok too)

8 comments:

Carmen said...

That sounds like a noble (and difficult) goal. :) I find myself using the f word a lot more. I really need to get a hold of myself on that one.

Seraph said...

I manage not to swear at the children at work, though I really have no idea how. Every now and then I think to myself "Yeah - I should try and not swear for a week..." - but then I think "F&ck it !" Ah ha ha ha !

Meredith said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Carmen! :) It makes me feel better that someone else out there is trying to cut back too...

Just to clarify...I can think the word, right?

Becky said...

i think if you are thinking the words, your risk of using it might increase. i used to work with adolescents in a group home and a lot of my coworkers had a real problem with the girls swearing, so the girls would come up with alternatives that were very creative. I am sure you will come up with better ones than "mother fudge cake" although that was one of my favorites that the girls used.

Anonymous said...

Boils in the ears hey.....well its a risk when you consider the family disposition to manifest unpleasant side effects when attempting to curb the swearing tendancies. I too have had a go for the past 6 months in reinging back the habit (and that's all it is really)of letting fly with a hearty F&CK when the occasion deserved it - however the main "curse" words I was asked to avoid due to a new relationship were the "biblical" references i.e. Jesus, Christ, God etc. which I found almost more difficult to do than just the plain ol standard F&ckin Hell!! Especially when the two combine so beautifully - who hasn't enjoyed a delicious: JEEEESUS F&CKIN CHRIST on occasion - it just rolls off the tongue so well - these words are what ennunication are all about in my opinion. Good luck ;o)
Toni

Meredith said...

Mother Fudge Cake! lollll - that is fantastic! That is up there with bumblebees instead of bugger. :)

Hey Toni - how about Cheesy Freakin' Crust? In addition to making the bf happy, you might just score pizza for dinner...

Seraph said...

Oh ! Oh ! 'Muddy Funster'! That's a good one ! I saw that on a Harry Enfield sketch !

You can always fall back on 'feck' though. Thank the lord for Father Ted !

Meredith said...

Well feck. I couldn't even last a week. I suck.

How'd you get on Carmen?