Tuesday, August 01, 2006

People Are Strange When You're A Stranger

My office laptop and monitor finally arrived this morning however I can't use them until my network account has been created. I even need a login to boot to Windows so I couldn't get a proper look at my new screen.

I had thought the technical bit was sorted but it was found yesterday that the new user account request forms that were submitted on my behalf last week, actually require my signature for some random, time wasting reason.

That meant today I had to travel into work just to sign two freakin' bits of paper. They are now on their way back to head office for processing, secondary approval (!!) and for technical implementation. I'm guessing it won't be until next week that I'll be able to show you my before and after office setup photos. Must get me a pot plant....

While I was in this morning I managed to get two, perhaps small, things done - which considering progress to date I am going to think of as victories. I managed to track down and sweet talk the mysterious 'Steve the mail guy' into giving me a mail slot and I found I had a key to a secret room that is filled with boxes, recycle bins and rolls and rolls of bubblewrap. Oh yeah.

I also introduced myself to two more of the people I share an office space with on level '5A' . (It seems that MU is so hip that rather than name their buildings A, B, C etc, they name them 1, 2, 3 and then call the floors within the building A, B, C etc. I think it is kinda stupid, although certainly not an uncrackable code.)

Anyways, I introduced myself to two young guys who sit down the hall from me. I've observed to date they seem to do everything together and I found today that when I speak to one, the other comes out of their office to join in on the chat. 20 minutes after I introduced myself, they both came down to visit me to see how I was getting on with unpacking my equipment. Given my levels of frustration at that point I only just stopped myself from telling them that they made a cute couple.

What entertained me on the commute back home was trying to work out who one of the 5A boys reminded me of. It drove me bananas but got it just as my train was pulling in. Jon looks exactly like Kurt Neilsen, that odd little hobbitt who won World Idol a few years ago...

5 comments:

Becky said...

that's so funny. it's just like working for the american government. (an idiotic move i will not repeat again!)

Meredith said...

Where did Uber Reader go? :(

Anonymous said...

Could you be more specific please.

Meredith said...

What the...?

I have a reader/commenter who goes by the name uber_reader and they haven't posted for a while. I am wondering if they are still around/are ok....

Specific enough?

Anonymous said...

Hey girl - im still here, lurking in the background... I found it more interesting reading other peoples comments, then contributing my own *sigh*. Still, its nice to know i'm missed :-)