Sunday, July 02, 2006

Moot Is An Ancient English Meeting

The conference I've been organising starts tomorrow and I think it bodes well that I am not at the office right now. I do have a stack of name cards to cut out and stuff into slips this afternoon and I was there until 8pm on Friday, but I still think I'm doing ok considering.

Organising this conference has been tough. The hardest part has been not responding to all the emails, faxes and phone calls from people asking seriously retarded questions with: "I'm sorry, you are too stupid to attend this conference. Please don't try and contact me again."

The only thing that stopped me from committing murder on Friday afternoon was the hilarious lame ass excuses people gave me as to why they were registering last minute.

I kept hearing "I only just found out about the conference today". Ummm...bullsh*t? If you had you wouldn't have had time to book your flights and accommodation and rearrange your working week in order to get up here. You would have thought "Oh bums, I missed it. It'll be too late now. Oh well, there is always next year...sigh."

Finance and HR departments have also been served a big helping of Scape al la Goat from conference delegate wannabes.

My two favourite excuses would have to be:

1. "We have a really rigid firewall here at XXX and I had a tough time registering as a result". (Wha....? What kind of uber prophylactic firewall do you have?!)

2. "I kept getting a stack of emails from you about the conference so I figured I was registered." (Ah hello? They were reminders to send in your registration form and payment! The last one was titled "This is your last chance!")

Heh. I was just waiting to hear about someone's dogs eating the form.

Another bright spot has been the thought of the Conference drinks and dinner at the end of Day 1. Even better than the free booze will be the company I have to share the meal with. I have unashamedly put myself at the 'A' table. Screw it. I deserve it.

Just before he left for the day I reminded my boss of the stupid tradition of the organiser(s) getting a (we are pretending to be) surprised gift at the end of the conference. I told him screw flowers... I want something I can use and won't give me hayfever. Nothing says we appreciate your hard work more than bourbon.....C.O.U...(are you getting this?)..G.A.R bourbon.

No comments: