Sunday, July 16, 2006

Yesterday I Cried...

I have a black tie event to go to on Friday and I have been angsting about what to wear for the past fortnight. I had originally thought I would wear a snappy tailored suit with an open white shirt and a tie but then realised that suits aren't actually black tie so my options were really a tux or a dress. I figured I'd look slightly less of a dork in a dress and made the decision to go shopping yesterday.

Time for a little background...

I haven't worn a dress since my 7th form ball, at which my blind date (it seems I was so hideous I couldn't get a proper date) took one look at me, spilled his drink on my dress and ran away, never to be seen again during the event. I felt ever so slightly stung at this as I had paid for the tickets, sat through the hair appointment and my mother had spent hours making me an amazing dress. The real kicker was the fact that the exact same thing had happened to me the year before, but when I had told the 7th form Dean I had no intention of going through the same expensive humiliating process as I had the previous year, she threatened to not give me my Higher School Certificate. I wish I had known at the time that was complete crap, flipped her the bird and told her to stick her HSC up her crazy spinster arse.
Ahem...Me?....Bitter?

Anywho. Safe to say that the whole dress wearing thing to me has a very strong connotation of gut renching, confidence crushing, uber suck. Then taking into account the stress I'm feeling about the handover of the old job, the scary new job and the shoulder thing, as the person who dried my tears last night pointed out to me - I really didn't have a sh*t show.

So yeah, yesterday I cried in public. Not cool.

On the bright side two things dawned on me while attempting to shop in fashionable boutiques. They don't put size labels on their clothes for 2 reasons:

1. To make not-skinny girls feel bad about themselves
2. Because if you have to ask, it won't fit you

In the end I found an ok dress from a mainstream store and today I got some ridiculously girly shoes. I have this strange feeling of anticipation about my colleagues seeing me all femed up. I have this dread it is going to be like an Extreme Makeover big reveal. Urgh. There will be cameras.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hush now don't you cry, wipe away the tear drops from your eyes.....

Anonymous said...

Anyone who thinks you would not look good in a dress is sight deficient. I reckon you will look amazing.

Good luck with the event, and the change to the new job.

Now that you will be in town, i can finally finangle you for coffee etc during the day.

AL

Meredith said...

Thanks AL :)

Who knows...if there are any half-way decent photos taken I might just post them up here for a laugh.


PS. Finangle?!

Becky said...

I think your date must have been so overwhelmed by your beauty he didn't know what to do. he was so horrified at what he had just done to you in that state he had to run off to save face.

i'm sure you'll look great and you'll survive the event. you have already had enough "bad experiences" with formal wear that it can't get worse, right?

Meredith said...

Thanks Bex :) Yeah, I'm gonna go with that theory. I like that one.

I am definitely going to have to post a photo up now.

Conrad said...

Photos. I want them. This moment must be remembered.

You can't have hated the blind date too much, because I'm pretty sure I remember you stopping me from sending the boys around to teach him respect for my little sis.

Meredith said...

That was only because he so wasn't worth the assault charge...if he had been I would have taken care of business a few years later when I saw him at Uni.

Anonymous said...

Ooohh - you'r blog is gaining momentum in the comments departments *nods enthusiastically*

Anonymous said...

so i can;t spell, or hear apparently. i always heard it as finangle.

but its actually finagle;

v. Informal fi·na·gled, fi·na·gling, fi·na·gles
v. tr.
To obtain or achieve by indirect, usually deceitful methods: finagle a day off from work.
To cheat; swindle: shady stockbrokers who finagle their clients out of fortunes.

which is not quite what i thought.

which shows i am safer sticking to numbers than the english language :)

but the point stands, now that you will be working in town, i can (coerce, liase with, finagle, etc) you into coffee and cake in the city :)

AL