Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Bi-Polar Express

This morning I was meeting a friend for brunch in town and as I boarded my train some crazy looking old guy got on ahead of me. Taking note of the clearly insane way in which he was clutching his bag and the way his eyes was dancing around in his head, I decided to sit a far distance behind him.

Turns out that was a pretty good decision.

Because Wellington was covered in fog for most of the day and visibility along the tracks wasn't the best, the train driver was sounding the horn before every level crossing. Every time he did that the old guy yelled "Yeeeeee..hee..hee..hee...haaaarrrr!!!" at the top of his lungs.

It was so much fun I was highly disappointed when he went to get off only a few stops through the trip.

Just before he stepped off the train I heard him say to the train guard that he was on the way to the pub. While I did judge him a lil' bit given it was 11am I was now fully able understand his excitability.

No comments: