Sunday, March 26, 2006

It Doesn't Mean They're Not Out To Get You

I finally did it. I asked the Media Research people what their long game was...

For over 2 1/2 years now I have got a call once a month on a Sunday evening from the strangely friendly folks from "Media Research Ltd". I have to listen to 30 songs played for 5 seconds each and rate them based on the following scale:

1. Don't know
2. Don't like
3. Tolerate
4. Neutral
5. Overplayed
6. Like
7. Favourite

Yep, you read right - 2 and a 1/2 years.

This rating system has become so ingrained in my head that I often find myself yelling "5! 5 damn it! That's a freakin' 5!" at the radio when an especially thrashed song is played for the 15th time that day.

After the 1st year I started to get suspicious... after 18 months I became convinced that "Media Research Ltd" was the front name for a psychological experiment on how long people will complete surveys without any end date or....well....ahem....a reward of some kind.

After 2 years I decided that I was going to be a statistical pain in the butt and continue on as long as I could just so the bastards had skewed p points and q curves etc. I was playing THEM!

Just 5 minutes ago after 2 1/2 years they finally broke me. I just got off the phone from them and after the 30th time of being asked "Do you remember the ratings?" I snapped. "Ok, seriously now, how much longer are you guys gonna keep asking me to do these surveys? Is this some sort of 'a la Lost' social experiment?!" I got the calm response "Until you ask us to stop calling or you are too old" "And how old is is too old?!" I asked with alarm.... "30" I got back. lollll. Well....what's another 2 years??...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

O dear - so does that mean that those over 30 have no opinion on music? Sounds flawed to me or maybe its just a question of demographics! But hey - why didn't you just say ENOUGH - don't damn well ring me anyore - I've done my dash!!
Toni :o)

Meredith said...

Since they routinely ask which radion station I listen to the most I figure I might be able to influence the songs being played... I take especial delight in giving songs a 5 (overplayed) rating. In your FACE Jack Johnson.

And yeah...I admit, I'm still not convinced it isn't a social experiment and while asking when will it stop is a plot on my curve I am not going to give them the sick pleasure of having me flake.

So, in summary. I'm a bit crazy.

Anonymous said...

I will not let them win! I will not let them win!! I can see that mantra running through your brain now.........hehe
thoton